Re: Re: Wow, hadn't realized this list was active

On Thu, Dec 23, 1999 at 11:30:45PM -0600, Steve Price wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Dec 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>
> # I like the way Debian actually configures software during installation;
> # FreeBSD (3.2 at least) doesn't seem to do much of that.
>
> FreeBSD has had the ability to configure ports (software) on
> install for as long as I can remember.  Whether the port's
> maintainer chooses to use it is a different matter altogether.

That's good news. Automatic configuration of packages is very common
on Debian, more common than it seemed to be on FreeBSD 3.2. Obviously
I'm not quite up to date on the BSD situation.

I think the distinction between the base system and the other packages
on FreeBSD is a bit of a disadvantage. When I wanted to replace sendmail
with exim on 3.2, I found this very difficult. It was easy enough
to install exim but very difficult to remove sendmail. Debian doesn't
make this distinction, and changing MTA is easy. The base is just a series
of normal packages.

Hamish