Re: Advantage of debs?

On Fri, 24 Dec 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

# On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 08:25:14PM -0500, dan wrote:
# > 5.0 will have a new setup utility, as well as (maybe) a new package
# > format.  JKH talked about using zips instead of tarballs as they
#
# zip and unzip (on Debian at least) are non-free. Do you have
# a solution to that (not insignificant) problem?

I don't know where the original poster got this information from,
but I've never *ever* heard anyone talk about using zip for FreeBSD's
packages.  Not speaking for FreeBSD, but from the best of my
knowledge there is aboslutely no plans of changing package formats.
We will have a new install program and possibly a revamped set of
pkg_*(1) utilities, but I've never heard of using zip from anybody.
Free, non-free, or otherwise. :)

-steve