Re: The project

On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 03:48:25PM -0500, Steve Price wrote:
> the wire.  The Ports Collection tree is the "source" people
> like Satoshi, Justin, Garrett, and myself use to build the
> packages.  Since the tree is available to everyone many of
> the more accomplished hacker types took to using the tools we
> have for building them ourselves.  What started out as a tool
> for us, ended up being used by everyone and they forgot about
> sysinstall and pkgadd. :)

:-)

A query about the ports: when they fetch source via FTP, do they have
an exact version they need, or will they search for the newest and attempt
to use it?

> most folks.  Or does a single .deb allow the user to turn on/off
> knobs transparently in the case where binaries either have the
> support or not (which would require having a binary for each
> possible permutation of knobs)?

No, we don't really have anything like that. In some cases there are
multiple .debs with different options (eg a console version versus
an X11 capable version).

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB (ex-VK3TYD).