Re: The project

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Gary Kline wrote:

# 	If the Core members of FreeBSD would agree to fully
# 	integrate the best of GNU into our BSD, that would be
# 	outstanding.

I can't speak for -core or FreeBSD for that matter.  I speak
for myself.  You'll have to ask them what they will agree to.

# 	Having a BSD that allowed every intelligent person to use
# 	easily would benefit everyone.  As I see it, FBSD
# 	currently aims for the server market; the very high-end
# 	techie.  Fine; but also fairly narrow.

They don't have the manpower to be the "be all to end all".
Freebsd doesn't necessarily focus on the server market.  Myself
nor anyone else can make anyone do anything because none of us
are getting paid to do it.  We do it because we enjoy it.  If
noone writes a device driver for the latest 3D video card, that's
because noone wants to, not because Linux's kernel layout/design
makes it so much easier to write one.  If someone wants to come
along and write one for FreeBSD.  Great!  You just won't catch
me doing it because I have no interest in playing games, cool
graphics, watching TV, or playing CDs on my computer.  Nothing
wrong with that just not my ball of wax.

# 	The reason I saw a shrinkwrapped Linux RedHat distribution
# 	at a local warehouse superstore is that Linux is aimed
# 	more toward the newer, intelligent computer- and non-computer-
# 	types.

Linux has a sex appeal that BSD doesn't.  Many of the "newer,
intell..." have an easier time equating themselves with Linus
(and some want to be just like him), but few see themselves
hanging out with a 50+ year old hippy with a gray beard that
talks of PDP-11s with great remiss.  I'm 31 so I'm probably
pretty middle of the road here and though I think what Linus
has done is great I know he didn't do it alone.  He tends to
get the lionshare of the credit though.  Just as Jordan is the
spiritual leader to many in the FreeBSD crowd.  Despite the
fact that many people worked on BSD before he even knew what a
computer was and many people will continue to work on it after
he doesn't care what a computer looks like anymore.

# 	For now, yes, let's focus on putting together what strengths
# 	we can.  Maybe we'll actually get there!

Sounds like a plan.  Who's going to school me on the finer side
.deb building?  I'm reading the stuff on the webpages and sucking
up examples from wherever I can find them, but someone taking a
simple port like xpm and creating a .deb for FreeBSD that I could
play around with would be of great benefit (to me at least).

-steve