Re: The project

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> Admittedly I've never done any kernel hacking, but it might be interesting
> to try it :-)

Actually, I've done quite some kernel hacking (I've written a kernel of my
own together with some friends, but that one is really different to this),
so I think I could manage to do it.

> That's an excellent point -- I'd forgotten about that. How are upgrades of
> the base system handled?

I don't even know if it's possible (I'm quite fresh in the BSD world, but
I definitely hope it's doable).

> That's a bit ugly -- like you point out, Debian handles the base
> system just like everything else.

Yes, that method is absolutely superior IMO.

> I find the whole packages-in-/usr/local thing a bit odd, but I suspect
> that FreeBSD doesn't subscribe to the FHS so it's probably just a difference
> of opinion.

I think this has to with the fact that most BSD people prefers to compile
stuff themselves, which makes the package handling quite immature (esp .
compared to Debian's, but you probably already know that. :)