Re: The project

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> Well, perhaps we can help to make it work. What doesn't work?

Some of the syscalls are unimplemented. 'sysinfo', for example (which is
used by dpkg). Perhaps it would be better to improve the Linux emulation,
so that the rest of the FreeBSD community would benefit from it too. I'm a
little unsure of this, but will gladly help whenever a decision is made.

> As I understand it, all that the kernel needs to do is Linux syscall
> emulation, since standard linux libraries are used.

Yes, that is correct.

> That's a fine idea, but my response is always: to whom would this be valuable?
> What is the target audience of the "Debian GNU/FreeBSD" system? Are you hoping
> to convert Debian GNU/Linux users, or FreeBSD users?

Both, and other people who simply like neither the Linux kernel nor the
FreeBSD distribution.

> Well, I'd be interested to know what you think sucks so that we can justify
> our efforts in the future. I think there are some good things and some
> bad things. I don't like the way that FreeBSD packages don't make an effort
> to configure themselves for your system, for one thing.

Yeah, that's one thing. The fact that the base system doesn't consist of
packages is also a really annoying thing. Simply put, it's too much like
Slackware and too little like Debian for my taste.