Re: Alive?

On Thu, Jul 15, 1999 at 10:10:23AM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 1999 at 04:20:04PM -0700, Brent Fulgham wrote:
> > (3)  If we ported Debian's packaging tools to BSD, how would you want this
> > integrated with the rest of the environment?  Should all Linux binaries go
> > in their own directory someplace?  Should they go right in alongside the
> > other binaries?
>
> I envisage a /compat/debian tree, which would be like / to linux.
> Ie /compat/debian/usr/bin, /compat/debian/usr/share/doc etc.
>
> However, I don't know if FreeBSD will let us do this. Although we could
> easily move /usr/bin to /compat/debian/usr/bin, this would not work for
> /usr/lib and /usr/share, whose paths are probably hardcoded into binaries.
> Ideally, the kernel would search /compat/debian for the stuff first
> (or /compat/linux). I don't know if it does, though -- /compat/linux might
> be intended only for system libraries (libc, libm, etc) and not for
> binaries.

	Hm.

	Could we build these by-hand and have the configuration|build
	script look for our DebianBSD (linux) binaries in /some-
	/compat/debian/library/path?  Then every BSD binary would work
	and so would all the Debian user-side tools.

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix