Re: removing grub-legacy from Debian

Hi Felix,

On 03/03/2024 at 14:28, Felix Zielcke wrote:

we plan to totally remove GRUB Legacy from Debian.
But grub-installer still has references to the old grub package.
Especially if multipath is used.

grub2 has long time ago gained support for the multipath devices.
See #442382 [1]

Anyone knows or could test changes to grub-installer if the old grub-
legacy is still needed for it?

I'm not able (or at least don't know how) to test multipath with grub-
installer.

I created a draft MR to remove grub-legacy support from grub-installer:
<https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/grub-installer/-/merge_requests/20>

The last patch removes all remaining multipath-specific code if it is not needed any more.

PS1: If grub-installer still needs specific support for multipath, then it is likely that grub2 packages will need it too in order to reinstall GRUB properly on package upgrade.

PS2: Has GRUB been tested with EFI boot from a multipath device ?