Re: Upcoming changes to Debian Linux kernel packages

On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 04:35:08AM +0200, Andreas Beckmann wrote:
> On 25/09/2023 00.50, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > Already built modules remain until someone deletes it.  So you can also
> > switch back to the still installed older kernel version and it will have
> > the still working module available.
> Assume I have Linux 6.6 and a third-party gpu driver module installed (so
> there are dkms and the Linux 6.6 headers as well) and everything is working
> fine.
> Then I upgrade the system, which brings Linux 6.7 (along linux-image-6.6
> which is kept installed) and a new version of the gpu driver (which adds
> support for 6.7). So the old gpu module for 6.6 gets removed and a new one
> is built for 6.7 only (since there are only 6.7 headers now).

Ah, here lays the missconception.  No, the 6.6 ones are not removed.  Why
should they be?  The system knows it can't rebuild them.

If the current implementation would remove them, it is a problem there,
not in the concept.

Bastian

--
Superior ability breeds superior ambition.
		-- Spock, "Space Seed", stardate 3141.9