Shim and secure boot status, leading up to bookworm

Hey all!

Here's a status update and plans for SB and shim. If any of this is
unclear or you have doubts, please say!

We currently have *signed* shim *15.4* packages in the archive, for
all of buster, bullseye, bookworm and sid. That works OK at the
moment, but is getting old (July 2021) and needs updating soonish.

I uploaded shim *15.6* in July 2022 and we attempted to get that
signed too. Reviews were positive, but due to process problems around
Microsoft uploads and then a long delay on getting a needed EV
certificate renewed we never managed to get that signed. :-(

The MS and cert issues are now both resolved, and I'm now working on a
shim *15.7* upload. There's a little more work and testing to do, but
I'm not far off. Yay?

However, there are a couple of caveats to this...

SBAT update
-----------

The new shim build will need to block SB execution of older grub
builds (anything with an SBAT level for grub.debian < 4). The oldest
builds that will continue to work are:

 * 2.06-6 (unstable/bookworm)
 * 2.06-3~deb11u5 (bullseye)
 * 2.06-3~deb10u3 (buster)

This is hopefully not unexpected, but I'm sharing here to be 100%
clear. I'm planning on doing shim 15.7 builds for bullseye and buster
again, so these all matter here.

NX
--

At the end of November 2022 (while unable to get anything signed) we
passed a deadline; new shims since that point must be built with NX

*However*, it does have consequences - once shim is loaded by UEFI
firmware and started with NX enabled, all the UEFI binaries downstream
of it *also* have to support NX as well. Patches for grub and linux
are under discussion at the moment, but AFAIK not yet released; I need
to check on the status of fwupd-efi too.

What does this mean for us?

 * Older machines with older firmware will continue to work just fine.

 * New-enough machines with firmware that enables NX will fail to boot
   until we get full NX support through our boot chain. :-( There's a
   mitigating factor here: *such* new machines may already reject our
   older signed binaries anyway.

We're stuck in a bad situation here I'm afraid; I think the only
sensible way is forward, applying NX patches as soon as they're
ready.

Thoughts?

"Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works
 anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped."
   -― Andy Weir, "The Martian"