Re: Immediate fallouts from the big linux changes, and actions

Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> (2023-12-24):
> Feel free to reply to this thread if you spot other fallouts.

Another FYI: one thing that I spotted early on (before realizing module
support was entirely broken), when I first diffed the list of files
available in the initramfs, building against testing's or unstable's
linux udebs: a bunch of virtio modules disappeared.

Comparing 6.5.0-5-amd64 and 6.6.8-amd64:

     usr/lib/modules/$ABI/kernel/drivers/virtio/virtio_balloon.ko
     usr/lib/modules/$ABI/kernel/drivers/virtio/virtio_dma_buf.ko
     usr/lib/modules/$ABI/kernel/drivers/virtio/virtio_input.ko
    -usr/lib/modules/$ABI/kernel/drivers/virtio/virtio.ko
     usr/lib/modules/$ABI/kernel/drivers/virtio/virtio_mmio.ko
    -usr/lib/modules/$ABI/kernel/drivers/virtio/virtio_pci.ko
    -usr/lib/modules/$ABI/kernel/drivers/virtio/virtio_pci_legacy_dev.ko
    -usr/lib/modules/$ABI/kernel/drivers/virtio/virtio_pci_modern_dev.ko
    -usr/lib/modules/$ABI/kernel/drivers/virtio/virtio_ring.ko

A cursory look in linux.git didn't yield an obvious answer:

    git diff debian/6.5.13-1..debian/6.6.8-1 -- debian/installer/

Indeed, that's mostly about kernel-versions's getting dropped, fuse
going away, some Depends field being updated, and some i2c-hid-* now
getting excluded in one place, and added conditionally in another one…

Searching for information about fuse and virtio, I finally noticed this
entry, which probably explains both fuse's “going away” and ditto for
some (but not all) virtio modules:

    * Set CONFIG_VIRTIO_FS and its dependencies to builtin, to allow building
      images that boot directly to rootfs (skipping the initrd)

as it changes:

    -CONFIG_VIRTIO_PCI=m
    +CONFIG_VIRTIO_PCI=y
    -CONFIG_FUSE_FS=m
    +CONFIG_FUSE_FS=y
    -CONFIG_VIRTIO_FS=m
    +CONFIG_VIRTIO_FS=y

I thought I'd mention the answer by mail since I brought up the topic
earlier (even if only on IRC).

Cheers,