Bookworm install and btrfs

Dear Debian maintainers,

first I like to thank you for the terrific job you do, Debian evolved to such a great system!

Upgrading my computers to Debian bookworm I encountered some issues and therefore I would like to make some suggestions for further development.

The btrfs filesystem comes with features like cow, snapshots and dynamic distribution of storage space between partitions (subvolumes). These qualities make it perfectly suitable to install the operating system onto it. Despite alot of articles on the Internet BTRFS today is very stable! I tried to crash it often in the middle of large transactions by turning power off and never had any problems to just restart and keep on doing.

I usually install Debian onto two partitions on small computers like notebooks. One partition for root (/) and another for user data (/home) besides the partitions the hardware needs (EFI). This way I can do backups from /etc to /home and at any time am able to format the root partition, reinstall the computer and am back to a fresh system without loosing any data, in case something awful happens.

The problem always was, that there was alot of disk space wasted because these partitions both needed to be large enough to handle further development. (always guessed wrong)

Btrfs subvolumes @root and @home on one single physical partition would solve this, besides ssd support and snapshots, in a perfect manner.

The issue with bookworm installer: It is able to install those two subvolumes, but in case of a reinstall it does not support to just format (or better clear) the @root subvolume for installation and leave the @home subvolume untouched. The installer is only able to format the physical partition and destroying all user data.

My suggestion: Make the installer support BTRFS subvolumes which are on an existing disk like it does for physical partitions.

Even better also support discoverable partitions like described at https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/DiscoverablePartitionsSpec/ and have a feature to just reinstall the operating system and not touch the data.

I am sure you are thinking of something like this already, then take this as another vote.

Sincerely, Richard