[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Bug#1036469: debian-installer: Installer does not ask for more Blu-ray discs.

Package: debian-installer
Severity: normal
Tags: d-i
X-Debbugs-Cc: budheal508@gmail.com

Dear Maintainer,

   * What led up to the situation?
Because d-i doesn't asks for further USB volumes (see Bug#1035476), the question was if d-i asked for further Blu-ray discs as it will for DVDs. Also see Bug#867232, suggesting that a network mirror be asked for. In my testing, a mirror was asked for once, after there was an error, I backed up and was able to continue (using the DVD set I think).
   * What exactly did you do (or not do) that was effective (or
I burned a DB set (onto BD-RE DL discs).
I then installed bookworm RC3 into a fresh SSD.
   * What was the outcome of this action?
I inspected sources.list and saw only one entry. I used apt-cdrom to add the rest of the set. apt-get update complained about each disc missing a Release file; man apt-secure informs us that allow-insecure=yes will be removed at some point. I added that at the end of each line in sources.list, used apt-get update and apt-get install cargo rust. I also installed the suggested packaged; so BD discs 2 and 3 were swapped in.
   * What outcome did you expect instead?
Ideally, d-i would ask for further discs in the same manner it asks for DVDs. There is a minor bug there, incidentally, where after DVD 2, it resets its radio buttons to "no" at which point d-i continues without recourse; if one sets "yes" at that point it continues to request for more discs. This has trapped me too many times ;)
Alternatively, as suggested in Bug#867232, put a network mirror into sources.list.
Without fixing this, you are putting the user into wizard territory. You should not expect every user to be instant experts, especially when you can easily avoid giving trouble for him or her.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: 12.0
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-9-amd64 (SMP w/24 CPU threads; PREEMPT)
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8), LANGUAGE not set
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /usr/bin/dash
Init: systemd (via /run/systemd/system)
LSM: AppArmor: enabled

Reply to: