Re: i386 in the future (was Re: 64-bit time_t transition for 32-bit archs: a proposal)

Hi,

Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@einval.com> (2023-05-19):
> I'd honestly suggest *just* publishing DVD1 for i386.
>
> Netinst requires internet access: DVD1 can be used to install a basic
> system without this. Scrap *everything else* for i386 installation media.

I'm not sure how dropping one netinst ISO is going to change anything in
debian-cd: that's a very fast build, that's a small, single ISO, and not
having to download several GBs seems quite appealing to me. Having DVD1
only would really not seem acceptable to me.

I'm also very much *not* in favour of dropping images just *days* before
the release, without any kind of heads-up.

If the point is to limit the amount of testing done before publishing,
it would seem acceptable to me to limit i386 testing, and to only be
“reacting” to user reports about things that might not be working for
them (instead of proactively checking various combinations).

Cc-ing debian-boot@ and debian-cd@ for information, seeing such an idea
mentioned only on debian-devel@ feels weird.

> Update media for i386 - no, really, don't bother. One DVD per point
> release and have done with it. The utility for i386 was questioned by
> me (amongst others) late in Bookworm planning and it was suggested
> that it should be decided for Trixie immediately bookworm is released.

No opinion on that.

Cheers,