Re: d-i bug: spurious checksum error?

On 4/18/23 23:52, Charles Curley wrote:
I started a test installation with a preseed file. I launched d-i with
the following command line:

expertgui auto file=/media/preseed.cfg DEBCONF_DEBUG=developer

When I told d-i to get the preseed file, it replied with a screen about
an incorrect checksum for the preseed file. The screen showed a
checksum string of "". (I took a screen shot of the error message, then
failed to preserve it. Sorry.)

I had recently added several items to my preseed file, one of which was:

# The installer can optionally verify checksums of preconfiguration files
# before using them. Currently only md5sums are supported, list the md5sums
# in the same order as the list of files to include.
#d-i preseed/include/checksum string 5da499872becccfeda2c4872f9171c3d

I deleted those lines entirely, and re-ran the installation. I did not
get the checksum error on the second try, and the preseed file was
properly located and run.

Did I hit a bug? I doubt it is the way the last line is commented out,
because there are plenty of other lines that are similarly commented
out (no space between the # and the d).

syslog and preseed.cfg files are attached.

Unless I'm missing something, the file is to be checksummed before the
content is available to d-i, the lines would simply be  there to
document what the installer can do.

I would assume that it would work as kernel boot parameter.

--
John Doe