Re: Firmware GR result - what happens next?

On Thu, 2022-10-13 at 17:35 +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:

> I'd prefer if we could make things work vs making things fail,
> however loudly.

There seem to be a few ways to deal with this transition:

1. Document it in the release notes and let users handle it. This means
lots of users won't get security updates for firmware (which are mostly
only issued for x86 CPU microcode), since lots of folks won't read the
release notes. This also means lots of support requests when users
can't find the firmware package they wanted.

2. Add some code somewhere to automatically modify the apt sources,
somehow ensure that code is run by all Debian users and hope that other
automated processes (like ansible/puppet) don't overwrite those changes
and hope that users aren't storing apt sources config in packages,
which would mean conffile prompts after the modification happens.

3. Add some code to apt to download non-free-firmware when non-free is
available in the sources and the downloaded Release files. This would
solve the issue for Debian and all other derivatives too, if they
decide to add a new non-free-firmware component too. This might not
be accepted by apt developers as it is kind of a hack to special-case
Debian component semantics in apt, although maybe a component mapping
config option would be accepted. This might result in extra Debian
support requests when users notice the new component in `apt update`.
This might not work for users of tools not based on apt, like cupt?
This wouldn't result in users without non-free getting any non-free
firmware though, which maybe we want since it is the new default?

4. Keep all non-free-firmware packages in non-free too. This would be
backwards compatible, but may expose bugs in dak, debian-cd, apt and
other tools, so IIRC this has been vetoed by the archive and CD teams.
This also wouldn't result in users without non-free getting any of the
non-free firmware, which maybe we want since it is the new default?

Personally I would choose 4 first, I expect any potential issues could
be easily fixed before the freeze. Next I would choose 3. Next I would
choose 1 because I think /etc belongs to the sysadmin not packages.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise