Re: Firmware GR result - what happens next?

Hey Jonathan!

On Sun, Oct 09, 2022 at 09:30:55AM +0200, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:

>On 2022/10/08 18:37, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>>    * Is PXE over wifi a thing? Never seen it...
>
>I've been poking around firmware setups of new laptops, and I'm intrigued by
>a new option that at least all the new Dell laptops have, called httpboot. It
>seems that you can just provide a URL to an EFI stub and then it would boot
>that (it's then up to whatever you do in that stub to boot something that can
>set up further networking etc), but it seems like a great thing to support in
>some future Debian release if possible, since you wouldn't even have to write
>as much as a boot USB disk in order to install your system.
>
>I'm not at all sure about where all of it's limitations are, and the
>documentation I could find on Dell's website are minimal, but if I have
>access to such a machine again I'll poke around and experiment a bit and
>write some notes for this list.

Nod. As you ACKed in IRC later, I did mention this in my mail... :-P

It's something that we should definitely be looking at, agreed.

"Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have
 nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free
 speech because you have nothing to say."
   -- Edward Snowden