Re: Debian Installer Bookworm Alpha 1 release

hi,

On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 1:32 AM Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> wrote:

> On 2022-09-26, Bo YU wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 22, 2022 at 11:27 AM Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:
> >> The Debian Installer team[1] is pleased to announce the first alpha
> >> release of the installer for Debian 12 "Bookworm".
> >>  * flash-kernel:
> >>     - Skip flash-kernel in all EFI systems.
> >>     - Add support for ODROID-C4, -HC4, -N2, -N2Plus (#982369).
> >>     - Add Librem5r4 (Evergreen).
> >>     - Add SiFive HiFive Unmatched A00 (#1006926).
> >>     - Add BeagleV Starlight Beta board.
> >>     - Add Microchip PolarFire-SoC Icicle Kit.
> >>     - Add MNT Reform 2.
> >
> > I am wondering what else needs to do for riscv64 here. Now, We often
> > do this by making
> > riscv64 rootfs tarball and then flash into sd/ssd on real hardware,
> > like Unmatched boards.
> >
> > There may be some work to be done here, but there doesn't seem to be enough
> > documentation to indicate this. Any help will be appreciated.
>
> I've added some platforms for armhf and arm64; I could take a stab at
> adding support for the Unmatched boards. I think all the pieces (debian
> kernel, debian u-boot, debian opensbi, flash-kernel support) are all
> present, and I have a board to test with. Unfortunately, I'm a bit short
> on time ... might be able to squeeze it in October or November, though
> that's getting a bit late for bookworm freeze.
>
> Not sure on other boards.

Ok. Thanks for all you do. If you need help to test, I can try it.

> Another approach would be to add support for EFI, if there is support
> for grub-efi-riscv64; some of the vendor u-boot platforms probably
> support EFI, even if u-boot support isn't in Debian.
>
> I think Ubuntu is using the EFI support on some riscv64 platforms, so it
> must be theoretically possible, at least.

I have synced with @nekorouter(Yifan xu) about this. Now he is porting
grub2 to riscv64. The current situation is due to some unknown mysterious
configurations file, it fails the test on D1 and v1(maybe not promise to
boot on both, but the Debian grub2 package can be built).

BR,
Bo