Re: Advice on boot console resolution issue

On 2022-01-01 13:43, Christian Kastner wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, and would appreciate input on the
> matter.
>
> Whenever I boot my machine, the GRUB boot menu looks normal, but
> everything textual following that (crypto unlock prompts, service
> startup messages, etc.) is completely distorted. For example, here is
> the prompt to enter the decryption password:
>
>    https://filepost.io/d/wiG25b3pN1

That screenshot is now gone, but here is a similar post:

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/distorted-image-in-console-after-enabling-amdgpu.74153/

> I suspected an issue with the 2560x1440 of my monitor, and indeed: the
> problem went away with a 1920x1080 monitor.
>
> Interestingly, the problem also went away once boot was complete.
> Switching to a tty with e.g.: Ctrl+Alt+F1 presented everything in order.
>
> Does anyone have an idea what could be going on (bug, or some EDID issue
> with my monitor?) and more importantly, how to fix it?

Just to share my resolution: it turns out I was misconfiguring the
module in /etc/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf. I completely forgot that I even
created that file.

It was passing the dc=0 parameter to the module, I believe to address
some issue I was experiencing with the amdgpu driver years ago.