From: "Geert Stappers" <stappers@stappers.nl>
To: debian-boot@lists.debian.org
Sent: Wednesday, 5 October, 2022 2:48:59 PM
Subject: Re: Debian installer improvement suggestion

On Wed, Oct 05, 2022 at 12:48:54PM +0200, ben.gruselle@free.fr wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> Please have a look at this thread on the BunsenLabs forum regarding
> the bullseyes installer not detecting the cdrom while installing a
> new debian distro (BunsenLabs obviously) from and SD card:
>
>   https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?pid=123929#p123929

As I understood it:

   ISO image
   booting from non-CD-ROM-device ( e.g. thumb-drive SD-card)
   boot is succesfull, debian-installer being started
   d-i finds "I'm a ISO image"
   d-i goes looking for CD-ROM-device
   the CD-ROM-device is NOT found

The issue has "solutions" as

     mount the_actual_device  /cdrom

I think the real solution is using  "HDD imsage".
(Or doing a netboot install)

So not using an image that is expecting a CD-ROM-device.

> I suspect you are probably already aware of the issue...

(-:

  Let me fill in the dots:

     Scott Adams,  Robert Greene and others have it documented.

:-)

Joking aside:
I don't know if "ISO image" has source code like

   If
      CD-ROM-device not found
   then
      register the attempt
      try next reasonable alternative

   If
      reasonable alternative failed
   the
      register the attempt
      try other option

   If
      other option failed
   then
      Present user nice text which says something like

         Mismatch on expection
	 for attempt in list of registered_attempts
	    attempt has failed
	 Retry another combination of install media and hardware

   # Continue
   Installation

> Thanks for your hard hard, rest assured it is really appreciated.

In my best French:  Logiciel libre c'est ne pas logiciel gratuit.

My actual point:  Do more as just suggesting

> Best regards
> ben

No hard feelings

Groeten