Re: Firmware GR result - what happens next?

On Sun, Oct 02, 2022 at 03:53:00PM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> >What's the plan for upgraded systems with an existing /etc/apt/sources.list.
> >Will the new n-f-f section added on upgrades automatically(if non-free was
> >enabled before)?

> So this is the one bit that I don't think we currently have a good
> answer for. We've never had a specific script to run on upgrades (like
> Ubuntu do), so this kind of potentially breaking change doesn't really
> have an obvious place to be fixed.

> Obviously we'll need to mention this in the release notes for
> bookworm. Should we maybe talk about adding an upgrade helper tool?

I heartily endorse ubuntu-release-upgrader, it has been useful in addressing
uncounted upgrade issues over the years and I think something like this
would be a nice addition to Debian as well.  Two caveats:

 - Despite this being the sanctioned upgrade path in Ubuntu for over a
   decade, every single cycle we get bug reports from users who have run
   into issues because they have bypassed it and done the manual sed
   /etc/apt/sources.list && apt dist-upgrade.  So in Debian where this has
   been the norm for /two/ decades, I would not expect this to substantially
   reduce the error rate in the first release where such a mechanism is
   introduced.  (After all, whether telling users to use a new upgrader tool
   or telling them to manually add a component to sources.list, they will
   have to read the release notes to know about it!)

 - There are always some users that end up with buggy systems after upgrade
   despite using the supported interface because they upgrade to the devel
   release, and the release-upgrader is still under development up until
   release so they miss out on quirks being applied - and there is no
   interface for users to replay the quirks that they missed out on.  Don't
   repeat the same design mistake.

In the absence of a release-upgrader, the only way I see to automate this on
upgrade would be to handle it in the maintainer scripts of either base-files
(which I don't think the base-files maintainer would like) or apt.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/