Re: Firmware GR result - what happens next?

I concede I'm biased as its maintainer, but I think it's ironic that
non-free firmware is about to have better support than the flagship
libre wireless firmware. I'm referring to open-ath9k-htc-firmware, which
if you're not familiar, is the firmware for the most prominent USB
wireless adapters that work with exclusively free software, including
all of the recent Respects Your Freedom-certified ones.

I specifically have two grievances:
 * Unlike all other free firmware, firmware-ath9k-htc is not installed
on systems by default. The only reason it's segregated is because it
gets built from source, unlike the other free firmware.
 * The ath9k_htc firmware should also be in the installer so users can
install over Wi-Fi. Fortunately the live images already include it, so I
usually recommend users wanting to install over Wi-Fi use that.

Note that downstream distros that are more free software-centric, like
Trisquel and PureOS, have already addressed the foregoing by choosing to
install firmware-ath9k-htc by default as a downstream change.

I'm not a new Debian Contributor; I know how things work around here.
But it would be nice if I could get some help from folks who already
know the ins and outs of the Debian Installer, and I thought this thread
would be a good opportunity to bring awareness to these issues affecting
firmware-ath9k-htc.

P.S. I'm aware that open-ath9k-htc-firmware may be FTBFS right now, I
plan to have a fix shortly.

P.P.S. I plan to split carl9170fw (the other 802.11n USB wireless
firmware) out into its own source package in the style of firmware-
ath9k-htc so we can build it from source too. Even though it's already
in firmware-linux-free, carl9170 currently doesn't work with the
installer either.

Thanks for your consideration.