creating log entries in the installer

Hi,

I am currently reworking the dialog parts of adduser and will implement
some kind of syslog functionality. I guess this might be interesting for
the installer, having some information about what adduser has done
during installation.

As I don't want to pull in a dependency to Sys::Syslog (which in turn
requires the full perl package while adduser itself is fine with just
having perl-base), I need to re-invent this particular wheel.

Is logger(1) available in the installer? Is /dev/log resp /dev/conslog
available? What is the recommended way to log during the installation?

Greetings
Marc