Re: ifupdown/dhcp

On Wed, 2022-05-11 at 11:38 +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Michael Hudson-Doyle <michael.hudson@canonical.com> writes:
>
> > Well busybox's udhcpc would seem a likely candidate here -- but its IPv6
> > support (iirc the reason we switch to dhclient from klibc's ipconfig in
> > Ubuntu's initramfs, at least) is described as incomplete.
>
> udhcpc is a very good IPv4 candidate indeed.  The ability to run over
> any IP interface makes it better than the ISC dhclient IMHO.
>
> As for DHCPv6 - we do have both dibbler and WIDE clients which are both
> DHCPv6 only. Unfortunately, the upstream state and future of both aren't
> any better than the ISC dhclient.
>
> Maybe look at the OpenWrt odhcp6c?  Needs packaging, but at least it has
> an upstream.  https://github.com/openwrt/odhcp6c
[...]

I already packaged this because I wanted prefix delegation, but I never
got around to integrating it with ifupdown.  For that reason I only
uploaded it to experimental.  I would be happy to hand over to a more
active maintainer, or to co-maintain it.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
I say we take off; nuke the site from orbit.