Re: License issue? (Re: Including partman-hfs to the team's git project)

Hi Holger!

On 5/4/22 16:35, Holger Wansing wrote:
>> It's part of unstable, so in principal, it can be used to build non-free installer
>> images.
>
> For which archs is this used?

It's currently used on m68k, powerpc and ppc64. But it could be used on amd64 and
arm64 as well since HFS/HFS+ is in principle useful on any Apple Macintosh computer,
even the latest ones.

> So even if partman-hfs is not used by default currently, the translations are
> currently used (translators work on it, if we add partman-hfs to the
> l10n machinery), so I wonder if this introduces a license issue for the
> translation files?
> (The po files contain the hint:
> "This file is distributed under the same license as debian-installer.")

This shouldn't introduce any license problems as the partman-hfs package itself
is not affected by the license issue. It's just the hfsprogs package that is
using the problematic APSL license.

partman-hfs is just using the same license as debian-installer but it has to
live in the contrib section because it depends on a package from the non-free
section.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz