Re: Possible to force installing from the mirror instead of the installation media?

On Mon, Feb 21, 2022 at 06:19:30PM +0800, Glen Huang wrote:
> @Geert
> > It is "netinst" that you are looking for.
>
> I am using netinst. Appreciate the detailed steps listed, but with all
> due respect, my question was about how to make the installer install
> the base system from the mirror and not the installation media. The
> listed steps don't seem to help with that.
>
> @Andrew @Holger @Steve
> I take that as it's not possible to force the installer to install the
> base system from the mirror? I guess the netboot image probably does
> something special.
>
> Guess I'll just have to let the installer upgrade then.
>
> @Andrew
> > an autoremove would remove the fallback kernel since you didn't boot from it
>
> I'm not sure that's the case. I tried running "apt-get autoremove" in
> a newly installed Debian 11 with multiple kernels in /boot, no
> packages got removed. `apt-cache rdepends --installed
> linux-image-5.10.0-10-amd64` (which was the old kernel) showed
> "linux-image-amd64" depended on it, so it was not removed. "apt-cache
> depends --installed linux-image-amd64" showed it depended on
> "linux-image-5.10.0-11-amd64".
>
> Regards,
> Glen

Netboot provides you a base kernel, an initrd and enough of the installer to
start from there.

The netinst / DVD includes the base systme on it - but will still update
if packages are newer on the mirror.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater