Re: Possible to force installing from the mirror instead of the installation media?

On Mon, Feb 21, 2022 at 12:05:53PM +0800, Glen Huang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I remember reading it somewhere in a Debian doc (though I can no
> longer find it) that only netboot automatically installs the base
> system from a mirror, other media install from the media itself and
> then upgrade via the mirror if allowed.
>
> I wonder if it's possible to force the installer to use the mirror for
> installing the base system? Currently, my installer installs two
> versions of kernels, one from the media, the other from upgrading via
> the mirror, which seems like a waste.
>
> I couldn't find the preseed directive that controls this.

:-)

Visit https://www.debian.org with a recent webbrowser
Click "download" to go to https://www.debian.org/download
Qouting that page:

  Thank you for downloading Debian!

  This is Debian 11, codenamed bullseye, netinst, for 64-bit PC (arch).

  If your download does not start automatically, click debian-11.2.0-arch-netinst.iso.

  Download checksum: SHA512SUMS Signature

The page presents also downloading debian-11.2.0-arch-netinst.iso.

> Would be grateful if someone could shed some light.

It is "netinst" that you are looking for.
At https://www.debian.org/distrib/ is that documented.
Page https://www.debian.org/download has the "distrib page" linked
in the section "Other Installers". Text from the distrib page:

   A small installation image: can be downloaded quickly and should be
   recorded onto a removable disk. To use this, you will need a machine
   with an Internet connection.

Page not linked on the download page
is www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html  Introduction text from that
page:

   In the world of hackers, the kind of answers you get to your technical
   questions depends as much on the way you ask the questions as on the
   difficulty of developing the answer. This guide will teach you how
   to ask questions in a way more likely to get you a satisfactory answer.

> Regards,
> Glen

Groeten
Geert Stappers