Re: Unable to set root password with clear text using preseed/early_command

On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 04:52:48PM +0800, Glen Huang wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2022, at 4:38 PM, Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> wrote:
> > Glen Huang <heyhgl@gmail.com> writes:
> > > Thanks to Cyril Brulebois’s tip that I could use DEBCONF_DEBUG
> > > to debug debconf, I found out the seen flag should be set in order
> > > for db_input to pick up the value.
> > >
> > > Case solved, thanks to everyone helped!
> >
> > I was wondering about that, but didn't see my code setting lots of seen
> > flags, so wasn't sure.
> >
> > I now realise that the reason for that is that I generally preseed the
> > things I don't want to be asked, even if I'm going to set them via
> > script, and the act of preseeding them to a place-holder value also sets
> > the seen flag.  Then you get to override that in a script without
> > worrying about also setting the seen flag at that point.
> >

> Setting a placeholder value is a great idea, it simplifies the
> early_command since the seen flag no longer needs to be set.
>
> Thanks for the tip Philip.

Thank your future self by sharing your solution with the mailinglist.

Karma bonus points for making it possible to read in the discussion
order. (In other words:  Put responses **below** previous text.)

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Silence is hard to parse