Re: Speed up installation: activate eatmydata-udeb by default and include eatmydata package in /pool

[Samuel Thibault]
> In my understanding, "ignore" carries a negative meaning, as if d-b
> people didn't *want* to have a look at the proposed patches.

OK.  Personally, I ignore a lot of things due to lack of capacity, and
while it can of course be negative for those being ignored, it has a
positive effect on me avoiding overload.  To me the difference of not
noticing and ignoring is the choice one make about what to look at.  I
assume the understaffed team decide which issues to look at and which to
ignore, even if the decision process is is "pick random issue, leave the
rest* or "pick issue that look interesting, leave rest for others* or
something else. :)

Anyway, I am happy to report that action point 4 was just fixed in git
according to <URL: https://bugs.debian.org/986772 >.  This should make
it simple to fix action point 3 too, enabling eatmydata-udeb in the
default installation, before the release of Bullseye.

As for action points 1 and 2, patching debootstrap and d-i to use new
option, I seriously doubt it can be implemented and tested quickly
enough, but would love to be wrong.

Perhaps all that is needed is more positive test reports for the patch
in <URL: https://bugs.debian.org/700633 >. :)

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen