Re: Finding a tentative bullseye release date

Hi Paul,

Paul Gevers <elbrus@debian.org> (2021-04-23):
> I hear you. So, I fear that we're getting into a situation where
> everything except the installer is more or less ready for the bullseye
> release. (Well assuming the shim is signed any time soon).
>
> > D-I Bullseye RC 1 was published a few hours ago. And at the risk of
> > sounding like a broken record: I have *absolutely no guarantee* to
> > have a fix or workaround for the amdgpu issue in less than a month,
> > that would be tested somewhat.
> >
> > Can we please *not* release with black screens for AMD users?
>
> Indeed, let's not. But can't we get the full Debian community on board
> to search for good solution? I have the feeling there's much interest
> to release sooner rather than late, so maybe there's brains we can use
> to help the installer forward? I'm going to draft a bits shortly, is
> there a bug number or mail thread we can point at?

I've just put out a new release, and I've tried to assemble stuff into
errata, can I *please* just have some time to look at our bugs, triage
them, and see what needs be fixed before the bullseye is out?!

amdgpu is the biggest issue I could think of, for this thread, and for
errata, but we have other showstoppers apparently. We need *time* to
stabilize the installer. What really worked last times was iterating
over as many releases as needed.

I tried to convey this earlier, but seemed to have failed, so I'll just
repeat myself: Over the last few release cycles, we've had a *predictable*
timing, with no sense of urgency and due date, and I've felt trusted to
do the right thing all the way.

It's been a few weeks since I've started to feel like this is getting
taken away from me. That's not a particular joyful experience, and
that's also a pretty huge motivation killer.

> Also, I recognize that the debian-installer is largely handled by you
> alone. I estimate that it's not going to help you on the short term if
> people volunteer to help with the coding as you would be spending time
> on on-boarding them. So, how can we, the Debian Community, help you
> getting the installer in releasable shape?

I'd advise releasing the time pressure, but it seems my pleading for
exactly that over the last few weeks/months hasn't achieved anything.

> I can think of testing RC1, but what else? Do you have the right
> hardware available for the amdgpu issue? Can people try out solutions
> for you? Tell us, or tell us how to find out.

No, I don't have any amdgpu hardware at the moment; but yes, I have
leader@'s checklist handy for when I can allocate some time to plan for
this.

> That said, I still think it's good to keep May 22 in the agenda as an
> option to do the release, with the remark that we'll not release when
> we're not ready (as Debian always does).

Getting mixed signals after the initial “I hear you”…

Cheers,