Re: Keyboard Layout configuration wizard - Swiss localization

Hello Mark,

Swiss DD here; cc'ing debian-switzerland@ for further comments if needed

> When I see the keyboards layouts in the installer from
> debian-10.8.0-amd64-netinst I see there that Debian has a "Schweizerisches
> Französisch / Swiss French" and a "Schweizerdeutsch / Swiss German"
> keyboard layout.
>
> There is one problem with this: In Switzerland we only have 1 hardware
> keyboard layout. Italian, German and French speaking people use this
> layout.

Although Switzerland indeed has only one hardware keyboard layout (the
keyboard markings can be identical), it has (at least) two software
interpretations, around the right part of the keyboard.

Specifically, the en_US "; / :" key will be:
 - "é / ö" in the Swiss French variant
 - "ö / é" in the Swiss German variant

There at least two other keys with such fr <> de swaps.

See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
QWERTZ#Switzerland_(German,_French,_Italian,_Romansh),_Liechtenstein,_Luxembourg

> In short there is only one keyboard and this has to be called: Swiss =
> Schweiz

No.

> If a Swiss person is only writing in french and they don't write often
> german so they will use the AZERTY keyboard which is the same as the French
> people are using for example.

That's really not true. At the very least, it's not _universally_ true for
french-speaking Swiss people.

As one example, I have learned (in the nineties) and still type on Swiss-
french QWERTZ keyboards, with the é under my right pinky, and so do all the
people I know from Suisse romande (besides the obvious IT people who might
have switched to BÉPO or en_US QWERTY). I really don't know of anyone raised
in Suisse romande typing on AZERTY.

> I will thank you for your responses and inputs. In my opinion this is a bug
> and should be fixed even it just for the small Switzerland.

It should not be fixed, as it's not a bug. Much to the contrary, it is OK as-
is; dropping the french variant of the Swiss QWERTZ keyboard would clearly
alienate the french-speaking swiss (and the italian-speaking swiss too
apparently), and deprive them from using their (valid) keyboard layout.

Hereby closing the bug report.

Best regards from Vevey, in Suisse romande.
    OdyX