Re: finished installing 10.3 to USB; will boot once when installer triggers restart; will not boot if computer is cold booted

I think I have diagnosed the problem, but I don't know how to fix it yet.

The configuration files under /boot/grub show that root is found as
hd3,gpt2. I read Grub hd numbers start at 0, so hd3 would be the
fourth hard drive. But when Grub boots successfully this one time, the
USB drive is at /dev/sdc, the third hard drive.

I could edit the files in /boot, but the comments say don't do that.
And I haven't found a reference to hd3 in the files under /etc.

Alan