Re: [partman-target] proposal to change template to fix bad wording

Holger Wansing wrote:
> I have one more proposal on my agenda for template changes.
>
> "Two file systems are assigned the same label (${LABEL}): ${PART1} and ${PART2}.
> resp.

(This, by the way, is one of those uses of "respectively" that doesn't
work in English!)

> "Two file systems are assigned the same mount point (${MOUNTPOINT}): ${PART1}
> and ${PART2}."
>
> I am of course not a native English speaker, but I believe there is some bad
> wording here?

No, that *is* acceptable English, though it might nonetheless be worth
avoiding - it's effectively saying "two file systems are in a state of
having been assigned the same X" (remember that English verbs like
"give/assign" can passivise in either of two ways: "I was given a
name" or "a name was given to me").

Your suggested revised versions begin to feel a bit longwinded.  If
this bit is going to cause any trouble it might be better to throw it
out completely and just say something like:

  "Two file systems have the same label (${LABEL}): ${PART1} and ${PART2}."

  "Two file systems have the same mount point (${MOUNTPOINT}): ${PART1} and ${PART2}."