Re: [installation-guide] Corrrect filename format for the website?

Hello,

Holger Wansing, le lun. 13 janv. 2020 00:04:35 +0100, a ecrit:
> while working on the lessoften cron script for building the installation-guide
> for the website, I noticed that we have files named "<filename>.<lang>.html"
> for the HTML variants, which is correct, but "<filename>.pdf.<lang>" and
> "<filename>.txt.<lang>" for the PDF and TXT variants.
> This leads to broken filename extensions, when people are downloading that
> files (a PDF file has the suffix "de" or "en" at the end for example).
>
> While under Linux OSes this might work, because files are not identified via
> the suffix but via their content, this leads to problems when people are
> using a Windows system to read the manual for example.
> Moreover it's inconsistent between HTML and PDF/TXT files.
>
> Does anyone know a reason, why this should not be changed?

Actually, at some point I wanted to do the converse for the html files:
call them .html.<lang>, so that language negociation can just work when
using URLs like

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/pr01.html

(while currently only
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/pr01.en.html
works)

For pdf/txt files, this is working:
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/install.pdf
lets your webbrowser negociate the language.

Perhaps the apache server can be made to look for extensions so that
requesting install.pdf also tries to server install.<lang>.pdf, and not
only install.pdf.<lang>?

Samuel