Re: #708019 installation-reports: 2013-04-14 daily on ASUS F2A85-M/CSM: Limited success

Filipus Klutiero <chealer@gmail.com> wrote (12 May 2013 16:12:02):
> Hardware detection claimed my Ethernet card needed non-free firmware to operate. This was reported as #706659.
> As usual, os-prober misdetected Windows, as reported in #666764.
>
> The real fun started after d-i finished its job. The installed system was mostly unusable. Thanks to tty-s, it was possible to identify a kernel bug and work around it by upgrading to
> Linux 3.8 (see #701054). From there, the system was mostly
> usable. The main problem left was the poor screen resolution due to the poor X.org driver used (vesa). The graphics chip is somewhat new (ATI Southern Islands, integrated in the CPU).
> Installing the non-free package firmware-radeon managed to work around this.
>
> Most stuff worked at that point. As I had forgotten to select KDE during the install, I originally had both GNOME and KDE installed, which exposed #692982. After working around that
> one, the only problem left was another - more minor - sound problem with non-KDE applications. speaker-test would fail and the Adobe Flash Player plugin in Iceweasel wouldn't output any
> sound. Unloading the snd_hda_intel LKM and [re]loading it with a parameter (modprobe snd_hda_intel index=1,0) worked around that. After I knew that sufficed, I made the workaround
> permanent by creating an asound.conf file.

Apart from some glitches (notably non-free firmware for Ethernet and graphics)
the installation was successful.
So closing this bug

Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076