Re: [installation-guide arm64] boot installer from USB / preparing installation-media

On 22/05/2020 15:22, Holger Wansing wrote:
in the installation-guide, arm64 has the "bootable-usb" option set.
That leads to this chapter being included in the manual:
https://d-i.debian.org/doc/installation-guide/en.arm64/ch04s03.html

Is this true for arm64?

When I write netboot mini.iso images or CD images to a USB drive they work fine on a QEMU aarch64 VM with EFI firmware.

But I couldn't easily create new partitions (for firmware) on the disk:
- Gparted thinks the whole disk is iso9660 so it won't even try
- Gnome Disks thinks it's MBR but fails to create a new partition
- fdisk worked, but breaks the iso9660 part unless I pass "--wipe never"

At least the hd-media/boot.img.gz (mentioned in chapter 4.3.2) is not existing
on the mirrors for arm64 ...

The hd-media configuration isn't enabled for arm64 yet, I'll probably work on enabling it eventually. It's enabled on armhf, but there it has an hd_media.tar.gz and "concatenateable images" (which may be analogous to that boot.img.gz). That's probably how it'd be on arm64 hd-media as well.

See:
https://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/daily/hd-media/SD-card-images/
https://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/arm64/daily/netboot/SD-card-images/

Other than that, it looks like 4.3.2 and 4.3.3 are already missing most of the instructions (compared to the amd64 version), so I don't think those two make sense in their current form.