Re: Looking for Debian unofficial install for mac with firmware...

Hi Rick,

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 03:17:14AM -0800, Rick Thomas wrote:
>For a friend...
>
>Does there exist a Buster Debian amd64 installer for mac with non-free firmware?
>
>He has a been given a 2006 vintage quad core  MacPro1,1
>    https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/specs/mac-pro-quad-3.0-specs.html
>That he'd like to get Linux running on.

Sorry, we've never made a firmware-included version of the
Mac-specific installer image.

Does that machine actually *need* that particular combination? The
mac-specific image is only there for a small number of macs whose
firmware can't cope with both BIOS and UEFI boot machinery in the same
image. It's worth testing with a normal image first. We try *not* to
build a complete matrix of every possible image type with all options,
purely for logistical reasons.

>A live image for the same would be nice too!

Again, that's a lot of effort for a tiny number of possible users at
this point. Sorry.

>I notice that the webpage at
>
>   http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/10.3.0+nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/
>
>mentions a mac image as if it *should* be there, but it's not in the
>list of files.  Is that an oversight, or was there a conscious
>decision to drop "mac" support with 10.3 ?

Oops, no. I think that's a bug in the code that generates that web
page. I'll fix that now.

"I can't ever sleep on planes ... call it irrational if you like, but I'm
 afraid I'll miss my stop" -- Vivek Das Mohapatra