Re: 8 more packages

Christmas and "new year" are over, now this "retransmit"
And at bottom some "extras"

On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 04:13:36PM +0100, Geert Stappers wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 21, 2019 at 09:15:07PM +0100, mario.stromar@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 10:43:29PM +0100, Geert Stappers wrote:
> > >
> > > ( on-list-follow-up ( after some off-list-messages ))

> > > Got a WiFi.odt and an Ethernet.odt in response of `dpkg -l` request.
> > > After some labor I got two identical files, I was hoping
> > > to get a difference showing the 8 extra packages.

> > > Photos of screen while installing packages explained it.
> > > (FWIW Graphical Installer is being used)
> > > One said installing 1363 packages, the other 1371 packages.
> > >
> > > So an interesting problem exists 8^)
> > >
> > > Please do gather more information. / Please do provide more information.
> > >
> > > After ethernet installation
> > >
> > >   dpkg -l | sudo tee /var/log/installer/dpkg-l
> > >   sudo tar cz /var/log/installer > ethernet.tgz
> > >   # mail ethernet.tgz
> > >
> > > After wifi installation
> > >
> > >   dpkg -l | sudo tee /var/log/installer/dpkg-l
> > >   sudo tar cz /var/log/installer > wifi.tgz
> > >   # mail wifi.tgz

> > > Now checking if original poster recieves mailinglist postings.
> > >

> > > Groeten
> > > Geert Stappers
> > >
> > > P.S.
> > > The .tgz will most likely larger as the max size of mailinglist post.
> > > So finding another path is needed. I do prefer that I can do `wget URL`.
> > > Recieving the two .tgz in two separated emails is acceptable.
> > > --
> > > Leven en laten leven
> > >

> > Ethernet...
> >  [  ... four thousand something lines ... ]
>
> and
> | On Sat, Dec 21, 2019 at 04:37:22PM +0100, mario.stromar@gmail.com wrote:
> | > wifi:
> | > [  ... four thousand something lines ... ]
>
> Both postings contained the same 1575 package names.  So we are nothing
> closer to what is causing the 8 more packages install.  The only difference
> seems to be install through ethernet versus through wifi.
>
> Based upon the timestamp of the email is the last install an ethernet
> install.  Please do
>
>     dpkg -l | sudo tee /var/log/installer/dpkg-l
>     sudo tar cz /var/log/installer > ethernet.tgz
>     # save the ethernet.tgz
>

> Then a wifi install plus
>
>     dpkg -l | sudo tee /var/log/installer/dpkg-l
>     sudo tar cz /var/log/installer > wifi.tgz
>     # mail wifi.tgz
>

> Next is sharing the  .tgz  with us, this mailinglist.

Both .tgz

Yes, I'm curios what is/was causing the difference in package count.
Over here no hardware with _both_  WIFI and ethernet available
for re-installs. And sacrificing an installed laptop doesn't make
sense because what we are researching might be hardware related.

> Please be warned that the mailinglist software has a size limit on each
> posting. So some creativity might be needed.

Just communicate, so we can find a solution.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven