Re: netcfg: proposal for template change

Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Fri, 2020-01-10 at 22:01 +0100, Holger Wansing wrote:
>> I would like to propose a change on a template in netcfg:
> [...]
>>   The IP address you provided is malformed. It should be in the form
>> - x.x.x.x where each 'x' is no larger than 255 (an IPv4 address), or a
>> - sequence of blocks of hexadecimal digits separated by colons (an IPv6
>> + x.x.x.x where each 'x' is an integer not larger than 255 (for an IPv4 address), or
>> + xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx each 'xxxx' being a block of hexadecimal digits (for an IPv6
>>   address). Please try again.
> [...]
>
> But IPv6 addresses do not have to look like that: leading zeroes in
> each group can be omitted and a run of all-zero groups in the middle
> can be omitted.
>
> And really I think the tiny proportion of users who need to enter
> static network configuration will already know what an IP address looks
> like.

In fact it might be more likely to be helpful if it said:

   The value you provided is not a usable IPv4 or IPv6 address. Please
   try again; for instance when setting up an IPv4 local area network
   you might use an address such as "192.168.0.1".

On the other hand if they specifically want to configure an IPv6
address, they've probably just typed it in wrong (again).