Updating the kernel ABI version

Previous-Subject: Re: Debian udeb Site Down?

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 06:49:12PM -0400, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 6:20 PM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> > > I'm not really clear on how to
> > > update the kernel ABI version to 5.3.0-1 in build/config/common.
> > Just update this line:
> >
> > } https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/debian-installer/blob/master/build/config/common#L14
> >
> > Replace "5.2.0-3" with "5.3.0-1".
> >
> Thanks so very much Adrian, that did the trick.
>
> Just a side question on this. If this replacement is now needed, why is it
> not put into the repository to be there by default?

AFAIK is that the place where the d-i git repository has defined
which kernel version to use ...

> I am testing the change on a Debian 9 setup as well, but was just
> curious why it needs to be manually changed instead. Any ideas?

You are doing development. That implies making manaully changes.

> If there is ever anything that I can help you with then please let me know
> and I'll be glad to do what I can.

Yes, several things. Start with showing awareness that you are writing
to a mailinglist. That you are aware that the number of subscribers
is much larger as the number of people you want to invite at your