Re: pxe booting qemu

Hi Michael, thanks for your answer.

On 9/23/2019 8:57 AM, Michael Kesper wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On 22.09.19 09:47, john doe wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to install Debian 10.1 using pxe and qemu.
>
> Is pxe booting a strong requirement for you?
> It's much easier to start booting from a cdrom image.
>
> A "netinst" image is sufficient:
> https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

I'm currently using the netinst.iso file to install Debian as a guest VM
using Qemu.
This approach works fine if you want to install multiple VM on the same
host.
My goal with using PXE booting is to test how to install from the
network using Qemu, that way, I can get everything the way I like before
implementing PXE booting on my network.

What I want is:
- Fully install Debian from the network using a preseed file (the less I
do on the host on which I want to install Debian the better)

What I don't want:
- Using a phisical media (usb key, cd/dvd rom ...)

As far as I understand it, PXE booting is the only way to avoid using a
usb key to install Debian, is that correct?

--
John Doe