When shadow passwords are disabled it is not possible to login as root after install

Good morning,
First of all sorry if this list isn't an appropriate place for this post but I am not using Debian very often and therefore I am not familiar with the proper bug reporting procedures. I've performed install of Debian Buster RC1 using image downloaded from https://caesar.ftp.acc.umu.se/cdimage/buster_di_rc1/amd64/iso-cd/debian-buster-DI-rc1-amd64-netinst.iso during install switched debconf priority to low but kept most settings at default.  The only exception was answering no when asked about usage of shadow passwords. I have enabled login as root during install, but after the system is installed it is not possible to login as Root. To ensure that it is caused by switching shadow passwords of I've installed again keeping them enabled and logging as Root worked. This bug was present ad least since Wheezy that was last Debian version which I was seriously using and I just wanted to check if it is still there. From my quick googling it appears that no one reported it before. So is it really a bug or  is it supposed to work that way?
Thanks for your replies

--
Lukasz