Debian 10 installation problem on 2-disk laptop

I have a laptop computer with 2 disks; a regular internal disk and a USB
external disk. The internal disk is dual-boot between Windows 10 and
opensuse leap 15.1; I use the USB disk for Debian.

This was fine with Debian 9, but when I installed Debian 10 on the USB
disk, the Debian installer put its 'grub' on the internal disk
(overwriting the opensuse grub). I was expecting Debian to put its
'grub' on the external disk alongside the rest of the Debian
installation.

On booting the system without the external disk, it didn't boot;
I was dropped into the grub command line.

I think the Debian 10 installer also changed the UUID of the swap
partition on the internal disk.

In the Debian install, I specified 'manual' disk partitioning based on
existing partitions; and told the installer to use the / and /home
partitions on the external disk that I had previously used for
Debian 9.

So I think there is a bug in the Debian 10 installer, in that it
changed my internal disk when I had not asked for this.

I was using the firmware-10.1.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso image from
cdimage.debian.org .

Is this a bug ? Can it be fixed ?
--
Chris Ward