Re: Where to build

Previous-Subject: Re: Question about building a full bootable image using (Debian 7)

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 04:28:54AM -0500, Gregory A. Lewis wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 03:57 Geert Stappers wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 02:59:28AM -0500, Gregory A. Lewis wrote:
> > >
> > > I am trying to build a bootable memory stick to drop a Debian system onto an old Macintosh
> > > laptop.  I do not know what the command or command sequence is to transfer
> > > the system into a(ny arbitrary) memory device and make it a bootable
> > > system.
> > >

> > At https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller#Development
> > is a link to "How to checkout the source".  Just do it.
> >
> > Then trigger a build. In case it failed, check why.
> >
> > Upon succesfull build make your first modification.
> > Keep it simple, example given a changed text string.
> >
> > Trigger another build.
> > Verify the effect of your first modification.
> >
> > Now feel realy challenged and dive deeper.

Just do it

> > Yes, there will be hurdles to take to reach the desired
> > destination.  A known good strategy how to get help is documented
> > in http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
> >
> > The shortcut[1] version is
> > * select where to ask what
> > * explain what you want to achieve
> > * explain what you did to get there
> > * explain where you are stuck
> > * formulate your question
> >

> I have been reading the Wiki link you sent Geert
> and I am wondering

START

> if I need to do a build from something like Virtual Box mounted on my
> vintage Mac or could I do the build on my Debian box or "idk"?

Not knowning what a "idk" is, did I a websearch and found
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Don%27t_Know
Please prove me wrong if "idk" is some integrated development kit
that would be an option for building debian-installer.

Back to:  Where to build?

Yes, do build debian-installer on a Debian box.

I do understand the problematic thinking
of "how do I get to my first car? it is miles away!"
Just ask a friend with a car to drive you.

It is OK to use debian-installer to install Debian on box.  Enjoy that
there is a working installer.  And yes, feel free to make debian-installer
fitting better to your needs.

Regards
Geert Stappers
DD