Re: pxe booting qemu

On 9/23/2019 1:26 PM, john doe wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On 9/23/2019 12:41 PM, Michael Kesper wrote:
>> Hi John,
>>
>> On 23.09.19 10:27, john doe wrote:
>>> I'm currently using the netinst.iso file to install Debian as a guest VM
>>> using Qemu.
>>> This approach works fine if you want to install multiple VM on the same
>>> host.
>>> My goal with using PXE booting is to test how to install from the
>>> network using Qemu, that way, I can get everything the way I like before
>>> implementing PXE booting on my network.
>>
>> I'd start with a real tftp server on a Debian box (You wrote that you were on windows).
>> Configuration of tftp server with qemu and without are different and
>> probably so different that it makes no sense to try the qemu one first.
>>

> Last note on Windows, and Qemu, all required files are to be in the root
> directory of the qemu tftp server without symlinks.
> From now on, I'm done with Windows/Qemu with regard to PXE booting.
>
>>> What I want is:
>>> - Fully install Debian from the network using a preseed file (the less I
>>> do on the host on which I want to install Debian the better)
>>
>> preseed.cfg is the next step. You need to be able to get your boot media
>> via network first.
>>

> I already have the preseed file working, for now, I do install Debian
> from a usb key and at the boot prompt I fetch the preseed file from http
> with something like:
>
> boot: auto console=ttyS0,115200n8 interface=auto url=<host-name>
>
> The all purpous of this is to avoid having to type the above line
> everytime I install Debian! :)
> Actually, I'm stuck at this very step, How do I go from having my boot
> media from the network?

I have installed 'apt-cacher-ng' and and use that local mirror in the
preseed file.

Now I need to understand how to add those argument:

console=ttyS0,115200n8 interface=auto url=tftp://<HOST-NAME>/x.cfg

The first step is to avoid having to type the above arguments and make
that the default If I don't select anything.

I'll also would like to thanks all the participent in this thread your
intput/help is valuable.

--
John Doe