Re: Adding packages to mini-gtk iso

Hi All,

I have been working with the Debian-Installer now and it compiles the GTK mini.iso just fine with default settings.

To add more packages it seems that I need to add a repository and then try to add the package, but in my case, I have downloaded the debian deb package and would like to have it in the source tree for the debian installer to add locally.

Is there some way that I can do this since I cannot seem to locate any information on how this might be done?

Any help would be truly appreciated.
Thanks in advance and have a great weekend,
Lonnie

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 5:19 PM Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 05:06:19PM -0400, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 5:00 PM Geert Stappers wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 04:51:00PM -0400, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:
> > >
> > > Now I would like take an existing deb package, perhaps convert it to udeb,
> > > and then install it during the whole re-build of the mini.iso (of course
> > > with any dependencies as well)
> > >
> > > Any suggestions on how best to proceed?
> >
> > IIRC is that documented in the d-i developer guide.
> >

> Thanks for getting back to me so quickly and I will start digging on it.
>
> On a related question, I was just wondering if it was strictly required to
> use udeb packages instead of deb packages. in particular, for this single
> package that I want to add. Could it be left as a deb package?   Although,
> I have read that deb packages are basically deb packaged but which have
> been stripped down to take out things like man pages, etc..

Indeed, that is what an  udeb is.

Answer on your actual question:  I don't for sure. Just dive into the
files that describe  "build me a d-i image". You will find a list
of packages that go into the image. Remove one from the list,
build the image, see that the image became smaller. No need to testrun.
Make the list complete plus add your wanted package, see if it builds.
See that it became larger, to a testrun.

> Sorry, that I am still a bit new to the Debian Installer but am starting to
> see how it comes together in my first build effort of the mini-gtk ISO.
> I want to explore how the Installer script works as well.

Yes, such explorations did me discover a lot of d-i.

> Thanks again and have a great night,
> Lonnie

Yes, it is night in my time-zone.

Groeten