Re: Installer image for HP mv2120 fails to build with Linux 5.2

* Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> [2019-08-26 14:25]:
>   * [armel/marvell] Increase maximum image size (fixes FTBFS):
>     - This removes support for QNAP TS-109, TS-119, TS-209, TS-219, TS-409,
>       and HP Media Vault mv2120

Ok, I removed these images from the installer.

Thanks for pointing this out, Raphael.  The mv2120 images also fail
with d-i.  The QNAP images were worse because they silently produce
a kernel image that will fail to flash.

There were few users of the mv2120, but QNAP is a shame... although
it seems very doubtful to me armel will be in buster at all (?).

If armel stays around, one possible solution (yes, an ugly hack)
would be to modify the flash layout in the kernel.  Debian changes
mtd1/mtd2 anyway, so we could simply reduce mtd2 a bit and make mtd1
larger.  If people flash a different OS, they will change mtd1/mtd2
anyway and the new kernel will have the original layout. (And we
can document how to flash the original mtd1/mtd2 while running a
Debian kernel with the Debian-specific layout.)

Hmm, for this to work, we'd also have to change the u-boot
environment, which we have avoided so far.  So maybe this should be
documented as "you can't go back to the original OS" (but then again,
I don't think these devices are supported by QNAP anymore).  Upgrades
would also require changing the u-boot config, but this could be done
from within Debian with a script that users run.

Ben, is that a hack you'd consider putting into the Debian kernel
assuming armel will stay around (or have we reached the point where
"stay with stretch" is the right answer)?
--
Martin Michlmayr
https://www.cyrius.com/