d-i changes around Mirror Hostname/Directory?

HI all,

I work on infrastructure provisioning automation (Digital Rebar Provision).  We're adding in Buster support right now.  Bumped in to an issue with d-i and our preseed we normally use.  A working Stretch preseed "mostly works" - but requires interactive input for "mirror hostname" and "mirror directory".

I tried to set:

d-i mirror/protocol string https
d-i mirror/http/hostname string mirrors.edge.kernel.org
d-i mirror/http/directory string /debian

However, this causes the installation to fail with a hard error.

My question:  Are there any pointers for changes around the "select-mirror" processing bits, and/or the preseed that need to be made to support Buster for automated deployment?

I have dug through the News archives for the Buster release, and see that there are changes around the Mirror list, and references to other changes, but I could not find a cohesive list of what might have changed.  My apologies if I missed something there.

Example of a fully working Stretch preseed:
  https://gist.github.com/sygibson/450f4529920cf86b58102267ed0ed085
Examples of a pressed with hostname/directory - that did NOT work:
  https://gist.github.com/sygibson/44acbeb71510ed24587de76d31d5f26a

Thank you.

~~shane

--
"The farther one goes, the less one knows." —Tao Te Ching