Re: Specifying hostname as kernel boot parameter preseed file

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 06:20:09PM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 03:48:36PM +0200, john doe wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to comprehend in which conditions the hostname and domain can
> > be specified as kernel boot parameter:
> > As far as I understand it there are three ways to specify a hostname/domain:
> > - Kernel boot parameter (boot: hostname=<HOSTNAME>)
> > - By DHCP
> > - Static hostname in a preseed file ('d-i netcfg/hostname string <HOSTNAME)
> >

> > I use a common preseed file for the debian installer with the exception
> > of the hostname that needs to be changed for eatch hosts.
> > So for example I would do something like:
> >
> > boot: auto interface=auto url=<URL> hostname=try
> >
> > On the installed system the hostname is always set to 'bad'.

Is the string 'bad' somewhere in the configuration of the DHCP server?

> > I would expect that 'hostname' in the above command would take
> > precedence over other hostnames that are specified by other means (DHCP
> > ...).
> >
> > What am I missing?
>
> Yeah, good question.
>

> > In other words: what is the best way to specify a hostname as kernel
> > boot parameter.
>
> I don't know.
>
> Thing I want to tell is that I use  sane configured DNS.
> Somewhere in the installation process does d-i a reverse lookup
> for hostname. For my setup does it get the hostname that I want
> on the (to be) installed system.

I think it is my setup of the DHCP server that is sending "hostname"
and that hostname is what the debian-installer picks up. So not
my setup of DNS.

> Not a kernel boot parameter, d-i preseed is what does the trick for me.
>
> Sorry for not being able to tell clearly and reproduceable how it works.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven