Re: Specifying hostname as kernel boot parameter preseed file

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 03:48:36PM +0200, john doe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to comprehend in which conditions the hostname and domain can
> be specified as kernel boot parameter:
> As far as I understand it there are three ways to specify a hostname/domain:
> - Kernel boot parameter (boot: hostname=<HOSTNAME>)
> - By DHCP
> - Static hostname in a preseed file ('d-i netcfg/hostname string <HOSTNAME)
>

> I use a common preseed file for the debian installer with the exception
> of the hostname that needs to be changed for eatch hosts.
> So for example I would do something like:
>
> boot: auto interface=auto url=<URL> hostname=try
>
> On the installed system the hostname is always sed to 'bad'.
>
> I would expect that 'hostname' in the above command would take
> precedence over other hostnames that are specified by other means (DHCP
> ...).
>
> What am I missing?

Yeah, good question.

> In other words: what is the best way to specify a hostname as kernel
> boot parameter.

I don't know.

Thing I want to tell is that I use  sane configured DNS.
Somewhere in the installation process does d-i a reverse lookup
for hostname. For my setup does it get the hostname that I want
on the (to be) installed system.
Not a kernel boot parameter, d-i preseed is what does the trick for me.

Sorry for not being able to tell clearly and reproduceable how it works.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven